Follow by Email

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Saturday Sewing Satisfaction

Saturday night I finished my third Hopscotch and Butterscotch, a Bonnie Hunter pattern. I made this one bigger than her pattern by 10 blocks. My first on is one I keep on my chair and it is just not big enough when folded in half to cover head to toe for my afternoon naps. Hope to get this one quilted soon to replace it.

I used a darker inner border on this one .

happy stitching this week

Friday, October 17, 2014

latest projects

My two inch strip drawer was running over so I pieced the strips end to end and crocheted this rag rug. I am really pleased with how it turned out even though it didn't work for under Johnny's chair. The chair just wouldn't roll over it, but I think it looks good in front of the fire place.

This is what I have been piecing for the last couple of weeks. It is my third rendition  of Bonnie Hunters Hopscotch and Butterscotch. The original pattern calls for 20 blocks and the first time I made it using Thimbleberries scraps. We were sitting on the front porch on one of the cooler afternoons and I had it covering up against the chill. Johnny said I don't know why you didn't make that big enough to really cover up so I came in and started piecing blocks again using civil war reproduction fabrics and makings 30 blocks. This will increase the size quite a bit. I just lack sashing the last row and then putting all the rows together. I plan to use a red inner border then the piano key outer border.

I am looking forward to the quilting retreat at the Red Rooster week after next. If I don't finish this one before then I will at the retreat. I have several other unfinished projects that I want to work on at the retreat. Probably more than I can hope to accomplish.

Happy Stitching

Monday, August 4, 2014


This weekend my goal was to clean up my sewing room. In one pile I found this little baby quilt that just needed the outside border added so I put that on so I could count one more finished quilt top.

Then I found these blocks and put them back on the design wall. I have over half of the nine patches done but need to finish the rest.

That was pretty much all I did in the sewing room, instead I read a great book. "Did You Miss Me" by Karen Rose, if you like a lot of suspense look for any of her books, just couldn't put it down.

Going to be a very busy week, stay safe and hope you get to quilt some.

Friday, August 1, 2014

Another Friday Finish

I started this twin size quilt last Friday afternoon and finished it this morning. I am not sure how I will quilt it yet but hope to get to it soon. It measures 55 by 74 inches.  The pattern is in the Sept./ Oct. issue of MaCall's Quilting magazine. There are two different chevron patterns in this issue but this one is called Chevies on the Levee. It was the easiest chevron pattern I have ever seen. It is made with bar unit set on point, rather than half square triangle or flying geese that I have seen in other patterns. So I gave in to the Chevron craze and put this one together. I think it will be great or either a boy or girl.

Here you can see how the blocks are set on point.

A little closer view after they are sewn together and the border is added.

This one was made with 2 and 3/4 inch strips but I may do the pattern again with smaller strips for a baby quilt.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Friday Finish

Finally finished this super king size quilt. It measures 110 x 110 and is made from a pattern on Moda's Bake Shop called Simple Stacked Blocks.

The way this pattern is done when you stack the  blocks you have left over  pieces plus I had left over test blocks from the green that I ended up not using on the front. Now to get it to Gina to quilt.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Big Pieces

One of my best friends from high school has asked me to make her a quilt. My first commissioned quilt. She said she wanted red, gray and black. She wasn't sure about her pattern but after much deliberation we determined she preferred the more modern look. I suggested she look at a pattern on Moda Bake shop called Simple Stacked Blocks and she loved it. After I made a few sample blocks we decided to add a splash of gold.

  Go check out the pattern to get a better idea of how  the blocks will look, or be stacked.

Monday, March 17, 2014

Weekend Inspiration

This was my weekend project. It is from the book Skinny Quilts and Table Runners from today's top designers. This particular project was called Astrological by Marti Mitchell. Most know that I love log cabin quilts so I thought this would be a quick easy project. I had thought I would piece, quilt and bind it in a day. WRONG

It only had 6 log cabin blocks, but then it had 2 blocks that were 3/4 black and 1/4 white. These were used on each end to square off the design. The trouble came in the pieced sashing parts. Notice how there is both saw tooth stars and friendship stars.

This made piecing and putting together the sashing and rows a little detailed. Needless to say I had to take out a few pieces and switch parts. Also if you ever do this pattern the pink setting triangle were cut the wrong size, too small. I had to calculate the correct size and recut. Problem was I didn't have a large enough piece of fabric left of the light pink so they all had to be cut from the brighter pink, but I think I like it better this way.

I barely had room to hang it on the design wall. I am still working on the mystery just needed to do something different this weekend.

Got to work today, so no quilting, hope you all have better luck.