Monday, September 18, 2017

Placemats

I have mentioned before that a quilt was going to Habitat, that is the charity of choice for the Decatur Quilt Lovers Guild. This is a small group of ladies but with big hearts. We now have more quilts ready than Habitat has homes so we went looking for another project to give. We are going to make placemats for each recipient of Meals on Wheels in Morgan County. That number is 325, which is pretty ambitious for a group of about 22, but I have no doubt it is a goal we can accomplish. February is their primary fund raising month so we plan to have them ready to present at that time. We are also going to ask the ladies at Somerville Stitch Day if they would like to help so I have been working on a few examples to show as an infomercial on Saturday.

Since binding would probably be the most time consuming part this is one that I pieced and then birthed and quilted last. This eliminates the binding.

I have a box of strips so I did this one as a quilt as you go and then sewed the binding from the back and stitched it down on the front by machine. This was a big time saver.

Here is an example where I was short of long enough strips so I pieced the strips before adding to the quilt as you go method. I think it adds interest. Bound this on on the machine too.

When I went to sew the binding on this one, out of habit I sewed it to the front so I hand stitched it down. It only took me about 35 minutes to whip it down so I plan to do a few more to carry to stitch day since we mainly do hand work.

This one I used varying widths of strips, not sure I like it as well. I like to work on 2 or 3 of these quilt as you go style so that I am not getting up to iron so often. On these I have been aiming for darker more masculine appeal, but we will do a variety. 

This was a 12.5 inch orphan block that I added strips to the side. I have a couple of other test blocks this size that I have not done anything with until now. I think this will be a worthwhile finish for these blocks. I also have some smaller orphan blocks that I plan to put together. I'll load a back on the longarm and then float these placemats on top, quilt then cut apart and bind. I'm even thinking about doing some ovals ones using left over bias binding. Just cut the shapes from a large flora print I have and quilt and bind. We have 4 months to get these done but with a little bit of effort and maybe a couple of sew days we will get them done early. Two or three people working together on the quilt as you go can accomplish a lot fast. I showed Carol how to do these last week and we made 3 in less that 2 hours.

This and some quilting for others is what I will be working on this week, what do you have going?

Linking with-----
Oh, Scrap
Slow Sunday Stitching
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday
Main Crush Monday
Moving it Forward


Happy Stitching,

Teresa







 

9 comments:

  1. I love the idea of placemats for Meals of Wheels. I love to make placemats but I and all of my family members have gotten plenty of placemats. So I think I will add that to my quilting time, after I finish my Christmas quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have given to all my family as well, so I'm glad to have an outlet again for them

      Delete
  2. Hi Teresa,
    WOW - what wonderful examples of placemats. And what a wonderful group to contribute to. I was able to deliver meals for a short period of time, and I can only imagine the delight those that receive them will feel. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to make placemats for Meals on Wheels. It will sure brighten peoples day and tables! Plus it will use up some scraps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great. What a worthwhile project. Good luck to your group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to make placemats! You are making so much progress, I have no doubt your group will make all that are needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You remind me of the ant and the rubber tree song! When we put our minds together and focus on one good thing we can do great things. Meals On Wheels is a godsend to so many people who both need a hot meal, but also knowing someone is coming that day. Someone cares. The placemats send that message loud and clear, and are a sweet reminder there all the time. You and your guild get an attagal and attaguy from me. Thank you for giving, and lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your participation at the Show and Tell Monday !! Hug Bambi

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic use for orphan blocks. I love the turned-edge of the hourglass-block mat. You guys are doing a great thing here. I'm sure it will brighten their days quite a lot when they get these with a delivery. :)

    ReplyDelete