Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day

How did it get to be September already? Only four months left in the year. Not a lot changed this week on the design wall, just added more blocks. I have 20 here on the wall and another 21 complete stacked on the machine.
All the blocks I have made since I found this tucked away project have been pieced from strips out of the 2 inch drawer.
 
Here is more strips that I have pulled for the next group of blocks. I think I have pulled about all the light that is appropriate for this project so I may have to cut some light but I have plenty of dark.


This is home for my strips. The top drawer is 1 1/2 inch, the middle is 2 inch and the bottom is 2 1/2 inch. All are jammed packed although this project has put a little dent in the 2 inch drawer especially the lights. This is Bonnie Hunter's method of scrap organizing although she has now taken hers one step further and has sorted each strip size by color into separate bags. I started that in the 2 1/2 inch drawer and got about half the drawer sorted but haven't done any more. Plus this would take more time on clean up. When I am piecing a project and cut several strips a certain size when I am finished I just stuff them in the appropriate drawer.

Another thing I try to do is think ahead to other projects and cut for them at the same time. I usually have to press the strip before cutting so I really want to use it all with none going back in the drawer. This project uses two 2 inch squares and two 2x31/2 inch of either dark or light combined with three 2 inch squares of the contrast. I cut from the strip as far as it will go and then cut the rest into 2 inch squares. I will use them to make Nine in the Middle another Bonnie Hunter pattern. I do the same when I am cutting strips from the stash and cut for another pattern, because you know I am going to make more quilts. I am like a kid in a candy shop I want it all, that is why I have so many UFO's, but more of this on a later date. If you want to see what others have on the design wall head on over to Judy's PatchworkTimes.com

3 comments:

  1. Your blocks look great. And I can see that I need to get larger drawers like you have. I can't seem to leave mine in an organized state. I just shove them back in the drawer until the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your scrappy blocks. I've got the strips sorted by size, but not by color. At least that's a start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks look great! I've been sorting my scraps by size and tossing them into ziploc bags, and so far the bags all fit into an old picnic basket. I've been recently using Bonnie Hunter's patterns to use them up as well. Your Carolina Chain will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete