Wednesday, May 24, 2017

An Ugly Quilt

Is there such a thing as an ugly quilt? Maybe, maybe not, if beauty is in the eye of the beholder then surely someone will see this quilt as beautiful. Since I volunteered to share the technique of the Not a Wink  quilt I had to make up demos. I had a lot of light floral strips in the 2.5 inch drawer so I decided to use those. I know Bonnie Hunter would have used them as her neutrals in a quilt, but I have a harder time doing that. I did use some in the split nine patch blocks that I used to make my "Spinning Out of Control" but usually I prefer a stronger contrast with my light and dark fabric. Usually I use tone on tone or a shirting type for my light. This is an easy and quick quilt to put together and I have now made three of them.


Maybe it is not as ugly as I thought it would be and quilting will improve it even more. Has anyone else noticed how much even simple quilting can improve a quilt top. I have done several things that when I showed them to Johnny, I got a so-so response, but when he saw it again after quilting I got a YEAH!

Even though I don't plan to quilt this one any time soon, I went ahead and made the binding. I have found it is a good idea to make my binding when the top is complete. This eliminates the possibility of the intended fabric getting used in something else or even just misplaced.


After making the binding I fold it accordion style and store it in a zip lock back. I just tuck the bag in the folds of the quilt top and then it is ready to sew on after it is quilted.


I have not pieced the back for this one yet, but I am thinking I may use several larger pieces of different floral fabrics that I have in my stash. I have heard that is being called back art. I'm calling it reducing the stash, I have two boxes of lights, mostly floral fabric that needs to move on out of here.

Happy Stitching,

Teresa


No comments:

Post a Comment